Thank you for your interest in this study, but the survey in Part 1 is now closed. If you wish to contribute your data in Part 2, data contribution through Tidepool is still open (please see Part 2 below)
We want to hear from YOU – parents and caregivers of children living with type 1 diabetes (T1D) from all over the United States – about your experience using continuous glucose monitoring (CGM). This includes how you use CGM, what you think of it, and what about it you can or cannot live without.
There are two parts to this study: (1) an anonymous, online survey and (2) an option to contribute some of your child’s diabetes device data.
If you have a child with T1D using CGM who is 13 years old or younger, and you're interested, please read on!
Part 1: The Survey
The survey is a series of multiple-choice questions about using CGM. Once you click on the survey link, we will ask for your consent to participate (since this is a research study that has been approved by the review board at our institution). A copy of the consent form can be found here. All of your answers will be anonymous, will be stored securely, and will be used for the purposes of this research study only.
You can complete the survey in one sitting, or save what you have done and come back to it later (total time is about 20-25 minutes). After you complete the survey, we will send you a gift card in appreciation of your time.
To participate in the study and complete the survey, please click here (NOTE: STUDY IS NOW CLOSED).
If you have any questions or problems, please get in touch with us!
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 415-514-6234 (if you call, let us know that you are inquiring about the US-KiDS study on CGM use run by Dr. Wong)
Part 2: Data Contribution
In the second part of the study, if your child is using an insulin pump and CGM, you can choose to contribute their most recent device data to the study. We will use the Tidepool platform to collect device data, which will be stored safely and securely. Most CGM devices, pumps, and meters are supported by Tidepool (see this list of Tidepool supported devices). If you are using a device that is not supported by Tidepool, you do not need to upload data from that device for this study.
We are interested in looking at device data in order to learn how parents and caregivers use CGM and pumps together. Data from everyone participating in the study will be reviewed together, and not on an individual basis, and we won’t link any personal identifying information to your particular set of data. After you upload your data, we will send you another gift card to show our appreciation.
For a general overview of how to upload data to Tidepool, please see Getting started with Tidepool (step-by-step instructions on how to upload your data). More specifically, if you participate in this part of the study, please follow the steps below:
1. Check to see if your devices are compatible with Tidepool on this page of supported devices: https://tidepool.org/products/tidepool-uploader/#devices. If your pump or CGM device are not compatible, you do not need to upload data, and you can stop here. If your glucose meter is not compatible, you do not need to upload data from the meter, but please still do upload data from your pump and CGM by going on to the next step.
2. If you already have a Tidepool account, please skip this step. If you do not have an account, sign up and create an account here: app.tidepool.org/signup. You will receive a verification email which will allow you to complete your account setup. Tidepool will ask if you want to Create Data Storage. Select "YES."
3. Once you have your account, go to app.tidepool.org using Google Chrome, and share your data with the study. Click the "Share" button below your name at the top of Tidepool on the web. Select "Add new member" and add the study email address [email protected] and click "Invite."
4. Install the Tidepool Uploader at tidepool.org/uploader (if you don't already have it). Select “Download for Windows” or “Download for Mac”, and follow the instructions to install.
5. Upload your data. Click on the following link for instructions on how to upload your data to Tidepool: Upload instructions for each device (includes step-by-step guides for each device).
6. Once you have uploaded your data, please click here to provide us with information to receive your gift card. If the link does not work, please copy and paste this link into your web browser: redcap.ucsf.edu/surveys/?s=KFTJ9JTXDX
Thank you so much for visiting and for considering our study. We sincerely appreciate it and are happy and honored to work with parents and caregivers like you.
The study is sponsored by Dexcom, Inc. More information about Dexcom can be found here.
Please also visit these pages for more information about Tidepool, our pediatric diabetes clinic, and our medical center:
Tidepool – tidepool.org
Madison Clinic – madisonclinic.ucsf.edu
UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital - ucsfbenioffchildrens.org
Please feel free to ask us any questions about the study or share any of your thoughts!
Study principal investigator: Jenise Wong, MD PhD
Email: [email protected]
Madison Clinic for Pediatric Diabetes: 415-514-6234